25 Ways to Pay it Forward on International Day of Happiness
March 20, 2015
It is the top priority and commitment of each Farm Bureau Financial Services agent to ensure the happiness of each client/member through excellence in products and services offered. As International Day of Happiness approaches on March 20, we want to highlight a few ways to pay it forward. No matter how big or small it may be, you will make a difference in someone’s day, and it starts with these 25 simple acts of kindness!
1. Volunteer at a hospital, nursing home, homeless shelter, etc. Give back by volunteering in your community. Check out the options at VolunteerMatch.
2. Give back to your local charity. Research local charities in your city and donate or see how you can give back in other ways.
3. Encourage someone to pursue their dreams, no matter how big or small they may be. Speak to a younger sibling, child, friend, etc. about their future and encourage them to follow their dreams, no matter what they may be.
4. Hug a friend. A hug can go a long way, give a friend or loved one a hug when you see them.
5. Spread good news. This could be as simple as telling a positive story you heard to a co-worker or sharing an encouraging article on social media.
6. Clean up litter in a local park. Pick a local park and dedicate a few hours to picking up trash.
7. Help others when disaster strikes. Whether it be a recent snowstorm or harsh rain storm, help your neighbor shovel their driveway or clean up debris from their yard.
8. Compliment someone who needs it. Say something kind to someone. You never know how much a compliment might mean to someone having a rough day.
9. Hold the door open for the person behind you. Go out of your way to hold the door for the person behind or in front of you.
10. Donate animal food to your local shelter. Next time you are purchasing dog food or treats for your furry friend, buy an extra bag for your local animal shelter.
11. Smile. A simple gesture like smiling goes a long way.
12. Write a nice handwritten card to someone you care about, randomly. Take the time to write a handwritten note to a loved one or a close friend when you are thinking about them.
13. Volunteer or donate to your local food bank. Next time you clean out your pantry at home, put together a small donation bag for your local food bank or look into donation options.
14. Explore new hobbies. If a friend or loved one has a special hobby, tag along and ask questions.
15. Donate books you no longer read. Take the time to sort through old books you are done using and donate them to your local Salvation Army, Goodwill or library.
16. If you purchase a coffee, pay for the person in line behind you. The next time you are at your local coffee shop, give a little extra to pay for the person’s drink behind you.
17. Put a coin in someone’s expired meter. If you see the car next to yours has an expired meter, help them avoid a ticket by putting in a few extra coins.
18. Donate extra clothing items or furniture to your local charity drive. Next time you clean out your closet, take the clothing items to your local charity.
19. Reach out to someone you haven’t spoken to in awhile. Take the time to reach out to a friend or relative you haven’t spoken with recently, whether that be through an email, phone call or card.
20. Tip generously the next time you are at a restaurant. Be generous to your service provider; a little goes a long way.
21. Bring your co-workers a special treat. Brighten your co-workers’ day by baking or bringing in a treat they would enjoy.
22. Sweat for a good cause. Sign up for a walk/run charity event with your friends and loved ones. Go the “extra mile” by making an additional monetary contribution to the benefited charity.
23. Make a care package for a homeless person. Take time to put together a care package for a homeless person in your area, including items such as:
- Hand warmers
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- First aid kit
- Lip balm
24. Show others how to make a difference in the world by setting a good example each and every day. Make it a goal to be the best person you can and exude that to others on a daily basis.
25. When someone requests to repay you for your good deed, ask them to pay it forward. If a person asks to repay you for your good gesture, simply request they continue to give back and pay it forward as well.
Are you ready to start a career focused on helping others? Then joining our agents at Farm Bureau Financial Services may be the right fit for you. Click the ‘Get Started’ button to apply today!