25 Ways to Pay it Forward on International Day of Happiness
March 18, 2021
It is the top priority and commitment of each Farm Bureau Financial Services agent to ensure the happiness of each client/member through excellence in products and services.
Farm Bureau agents go above and beyond to support their communities. As International Day of Happiness approaches on March 20, we want to highlight a few ways to pay it forward. If you’re looking for a way to make a difference in someone’s day, this list of 25 simple acts of kindness can get you started.
1. Volunteer. Give back by volunteering at a hospital, nursing home, homeless shelter or other organization in your community. Check out the options at VolunteerMatch.
2. Donate to your local charity. Research local charities in your city and figure out how you can donate your items, services or skills.
3. Encourage someone. Take time to reach out to a younger sibling, child, friend, etc., and encourage them. Whether they had a bad day, great day — or anything in-between — let them know you support them and you’re there for them.
4. Send a card. Everyone loves happy mail. Drop a note in the mail to a friend or loved one for a small, but sweet, surprise.
5. Spread good news. This could be as simple as telling a positive story you heard to a coworker or sharing an encouraging article on social media.
6. Clean up litter. Pick a local park and dedicate a few hours to picking up trash.
7. Help someone — just because. Mow your neighbor’s lawn. Shovel your friend’s driveway. It doesn’t take much effort, but it can make someone’s day.
8. Compliment someone. You never know how much a compliment might mean to someone having a rough day.
9. Hold the door. Go out of your way to hold the door for the person behind or in front of you.
10. Donate animal food to your local shelter. Next time you are purchasing dog food or treats for your furry friend, buy an extra bag for your local animal shelter.
11. Smile. A simple gesture like smiling goes a long way.
12. Write a handwritten letter. Take the time to write a handwritten note to a loved one or a close friend when you are thinking about them.
13. Donate food. Next time you clean out your pantry at home, put together a small donation bag for your local food bank.
14. Explore new hobbies. If a friend or loved one has a special hobby, tag along to show you support their interests.
15. Donate books. Sort through old books and donate the ones you’re not using to your local Salvation Army, Goodwill or library.
16. Buy someone a coffee. The next time you are at your local coffee shop, give a little extra to pay for the person’s drink behind you.
17. Put a coin in someone’s expired meter. If you see the car parked next to yours has an expired meter, help them avoid a ticket by putting a few extra coins into the meter.
18. Donate extra clothing items or furniture to your local charity drive. Next time you clean out your closet, take the clothing items to your local charity.
19. Reach out to someone you haven’t spoken to in a while. Take the time to reach out to a friend or relative you haven’t spoken with recently, whether that be through an email, phone call or card.
20. Tip generously. You likely won’t miss the extra $3 you add to your standard tip, but the generosity will make your service provider’s day.
21. Bring your coworkers a special treat. Grab some bagels and shmear or bring a dozen donuts to share with your coworkers.
22. Sweat for a good cause. Sign up for a walk/run charity event with your friends and loved ones. Go the “extra mile” by making an additional monetary contribution to the benefited charity.
23. Make a care package for someone who is homeless. Put together a care package for someone experiencing homelessness in your area, including items such as hand warmers, snacks, wet wipes, a toothbrush, toothpaste, a first aid kit and lip balm.
24. Set a good example. Make it a goal to be the best person you can and exude that to others on a daily basis.
25. Pay it forward. If a person asks to repay you for your good gesture, simply request they continue to give back and pay it forward as well.
Make Doing Good Your Business
Are you ready to start a business focused on helping others? Join Farm Bureau Financial Services, where we make helping our communities our top priority. Contact your regional manager to get started today.