5 Reasons To Love Being Your Own Boss
October 22, 2018
One of the perks to becoming an insurance agent is that you get to be your own boss and build your business the way you want. When you become an insurance agent at Farm Bureau, you’ll get to run your own business and still get support from Farm Bureau Financial Services.
1. Insurance Agents Have Leadership Opportunities
When you’re in charge of your own business, you’re expected to lead those around you. Oftentimes, your team will come to you for advice, recommendations and questions about your business process. This gives you the chance to guide them and show them what your expectations are.
2. You Can Build Your Business Based On Your Own Values
Becoming an insurance agent means you can run your business to match your values and core beliefs. You are the face of your insurance business, and how you present yourself will help determine the trust your clients put in you to protect their livelihoods and futures. Farm Bureau insurance agents often want to get into the insurance business because they are passionate about helping others. Many of our agents are able to stay involved in community activities while still running a successful business.
3. There’s No Limit To Your Professional Growth
As the boss of your business and an insurance agent, it’s up to you to set yourself up for growth and success, and the sky's the limit. Make sure you’re setting realistic goals for yourself and taking steps to attain them. This will help you grow as a professional and a leader.
Along with your hard work and dedication, you can succeed with the help of Farm Bureau. We will provide additional training, marketing materials and many support options to help you achieve your professional goals. After you complete our Agent Development Program, you’ll have a team of professionals to help you, and you’ll gain valuable advice from your agency manager and other team members, such as your sales coach.
4. You Can Set Your Own Work Style
One benefit to being your own boss is you get to find a rhythm that works best for you. Becoming an insurance agent is hard work, but it is a very rewarding profession. You’ll need to put in long hours and really focus on building your business, especially at the beginning, and your dedication will show and be rewarded.
Although it takes a lot of work to start your own business, as your own boss your hours and business process is flexible. Whether you like performing your tasks in a certain order or jumping from one assignment to the next, you can run your business in a way that makes you comfortable.
5. You’ll Step Out of Your Comfort Zone
For most Farm Bureau agents, this is their first time running their own business, and there’s a lot to discover along the way! As your own boss, you’ll learn resilience and self-discipline as you grow your business and lead your team. Some of your business decisions may not be easy and you’ll make mistakes, but learning from your mistakes and pushing forward is the best way to learn how to run a successful business.
How to Succeed As Your Own Boss And An Insurance Agent
When you become an insurance agent, you’ll want to work to develop the traits of a great leader, but you have to know how to utilize your strengths to optimize performance. Here are a few steps successful insurance agents take:
- Set goals and milestones. If you’re not thinking ahead and giving yourself specific objectives, you’ll never be able to track your progress. It’s important not to set goals that are unattainable, but try to challenge yourself. Once you reach your target, you’ll feel more accomplished and be able to celebrate even the small wins.
- Learn from a professional mentor. Farm Bureau assigns new agents to agency managers within the company so they have a person to turn to for questions and advice. We encourage utilizing your professional mentor since they can give you industry news and tips, let you know what skills you need to brush up on and much more.
- Network and get involved in the community. As a local agent, being a forward figure in your community can really help your business. Some of our most successful agents volunteer at local organizations or help with school and community functions. This gives them an opportunity to network with new people and meet a wide range of individuals within their neighborhood. Just being there and showing your support for local efforts shows potential clients how much you care about the community.
Build Your Business & Be Your Own Boss With Farm Bureau
If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and want a chance to be your own boss, try becoming an insurance agent! Farm Bureau gives you the tools you need to succeed, starting with our Agent Development Program. Without giving up your current job, you can test your skills at being an insurance agent and decide if it’s the right path for you. Get started today!